Today's Bayside, Maine began as the Northport Wesleyan Grove Camp Meeting in 1849. Maine Methodists gathered in Northport for two weeks each summer for a religious festival at "this most beautiful spot, on a point of land making out to the bay". From the congregations of the first twenty towns represented by the Methodists, the population grew to include rusticators,excursionists,and vacationers. Tents pitched in small lots evolved into modest cottages with elaborate "gingerbread" decor; a grand hotel was built;steamers landed both religious and holiday seekers. It was not until the advent of the motor car that the large crowds began to decline. This lecture which chronicles the history of this seaside community was presented by Beverly Crofoot, a Bayside resident, author and historian.